last updated september 24, 2017
A couple of days a go i sold my 6x 370s and bought 3xย Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4GB OC instead and was the best decision because i got higher hashing speed with lower watt, from 750w to 400w.
I guess now most of new and old miners know that the RX 470s 4GB are the most efficient cards to mine with, at least for Ethereum, ZCash, Monero, PascalCoin etc..
In this tutorial i am going to show you how to modify and flash BIOS to your RX 470s, this will increase the GPU hashrate substantially. My RX 470s went from 22.xx Mh/s at stock settings to 24.xx with modded bios and 29.xx with overclock and undervolt. So i got a much higher hashrate and at the same time low watt consumption with better hashing speed, around 70w to 80w per card.
The thing is that not all cards are the same, for example there are 4 different types of memory #1 Hynix (31.xx Mh/s), #1 Elpida (31.xx Mh/s), #2 Samsung (28.xx Mh/s), #3 Micron (22-24.xx Mh/s), read more about the memory types and how to spot them here. I wasn’t that lucky to get a Hynix or Elpida but i got a Samsung instead, which is better than Micron :), after few days of struggling and testing i was able to get a nice and decent hashing speed of 29.xx Mh/s on Ethereum, most of miners are reporting 28.xx Mh/s maximum hashrate but for some reason i was able to push the cards a bit more.
Right now i am going to share with you my BIOS mod for Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4GB OC, specially with Samsung memory but i will include in the tutorial how to mod and flash the cards with Hynix, Elpida, Micron also two Reference models. Also ill show you what driver version, software and tools are needed to flash and modify bios.
To make the things even clear this is the exact card i am using in this tutorial:
Let’s get started!
1 Download and install/extract the following
Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+ OC 4Gb Modded Bios for Samsung Memory
Save original Default BIOS
- Shut down your rig
- Remove all the GPUs and leave only one plugged, my recommendation is to flash the cards one by one
- Start the rig and Extract ATIFlash 2.74 to C: in a folder like “atiflash“
- Runย ATIWinflash.exe as administrator, click on “Save” button to save the default BIOS (make sure the RX 470 card is selected), give it a name like Sapphire470defaultBIOS.rom
- Click “ok” and “continue“
- Once the BIOS is saved close ATIFlash
Silent BIOS Switch
- Shutdown your rig again
- Switch BIOS to silent mode (towards the HDMI cable side)
- Start the rig
Save original Silent BIOS
- Open ATIWinflash.exe as administrator
- Save the BIOS again, this time give it a name likeย Sapphire470silentBIOS.rom
Modifying / Modding the BIOS
Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+ OC 4GB Samsung Memory Bios Mod & Flash
Flash the BIOS with ATIFlash 2.74
- Startย ATIFlash 2.74
- Load the image Sapphire470modded.rom
- Click on “Program” button
- Wait about 30-60 seconds till you get the message “Your VBIOS was programmed successfully“, click OK
- Restart the rig and test
Pretty much this is it, repeat the same steps with each GPU.
Here is the same GPU before and after bios mod
6 Overclock and Undervolt for low watt usage
- Start Sapphire Trixx
- GPU Clock: 1150
- Memory Clock: 2050 (you can start from 2000 and increase, i can go up to 2050, 2070. The 2100 is not that stable)
- mV: -100
- Apply modifications
Coming next with RX 470 8GB ๐
Thank you for reading. As always, your comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.
Subscribe and stay tuned for further updates!
Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ Rx 470 4GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ backplate (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card Graphics Cards 11256-01-20G
as of March 20, 2019 11:44 am
- 2 x HDMI; 1 x DVI-D; 2 x DisplayPort
- 1143 MHz Engine Clock; 1260 MHz boost Engine Clock
- 1750 MHz, 7000Mbps effective Memory Clock